UT Police arrest man for making terroristic threats

April 15, 2018 - 11:55 am

AUSTIN (KJCE) -- University of Texas Police have arrested a man for making terroristic threats against the Austin campus, including blowing up a building and shooting "at least 200 people", officials say.

UTPD officers, with assistance from the Harris County Sheriff's Office and Harris County Constable Precinct 3, arrested 23-year old Sean Evan Haddon around 9 a.m. Sunday morning at a residence in Crosby.

Haddon was booked into the Harris County Jail on a third-degree felony charge of making a terroristic threat, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

According to a release from UTPD, a 9-1-1 caller on April 7 said they had put a pipe bomb in the lobby of the police department. The caller demanded a payment in bitcoin and the dispatcher's participation in sexual acts or he would blow up the building. The call was disconnected. Minutes later, another call came in from what sounded like the previous caller. The person once again threatened to blow up the building. The caller told a UTPD officer to evacuate.

UTPD used bomb detection K-9s to conduct a search of the lobby and the exterior of the building. Additionally, officers reviewed security camera footage for evidence of a person placing an explosive device. No suspicious activity or device was found.

Dispatchers received another 9-1-1 call from the same person on April 12. During this conversation the caller said he was going to shoot the dispatcher and told the dispatcher to perform sexually explicit acts.

On April 13, UTPD received a call from UT Human Resources, where a supervisor reported being on the phone with a male who said he wanted to shoot up the university, “at least 200 people.” While officers were en route to the HR Service Center, the male said he would shoot the first person he sees. A UTPD officer took over the call at which time the anonymous caller said he would “kill the first person he sees.” That same officer personally listened to the most recent call to 9-1-1 on April 12, and was certain it was the same person.

Based on the exigency of the threat of violence, investigators immediately contacted phone and internet service providers. They determined the phone from which the calls originated belonged to Haddon. Detectives quickly developed information verifying the suspect was not in the Austin area. In each case, police investigated immediately and thoroughly and determined there was no active threat that would have prompted a campus wide communications.

Comments ()