2022 FIFA World Cup

May 20, 2020 - 3:32 am
BRUSSELS (AP) — Belgium coach Roberto Martinez has signed a new contract to lead the Red Devils through the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The Belgian federation said on Wednesday that the 46-year-old Martinez, who previously coached Premier League teams Everton and Wigan, will also continue in his role...
Read More
FILE - In this May 13, 2016, file photo, newly elected CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani smiles as he receives applause from fellow delegates during the 66th FIFA Congress in Mexico City. A FIFA vice president says most international soccer might not be played until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic travel restrictions and the need to give club competitions the chance to resume. Montagliani of Canada has been heading a FIFA working group formulating plans to deal with the implications of the world’s biggest sport being largely shut down since last month. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell, File)
April 13, 2020 - 7:06 pm
Most international soccer might not be played until 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic travel restrictions and the need to give club competitions the chance to resume, a FIFA vice president said Monday. Victor Montagliani, a Canadian who is president of the governing body for North and Central...
Read More
April 06, 2020 - 6:06 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors revealed new details of alleged bribes paid to FIFA executive committee members to gain their votes for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup and charged a pair of former 21st Century Fox executives with making illegal payments to win broadcast rights for the 2018 and 2022...
Read More
Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi, left, fights for the ball with Arsenal's Bukayo Saka during the English Premier League soccer match between Chelsea and Arsenal at Stamford Bridge stadium in London England, Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Leila Coker)
The Associated Press
March 12, 2020 - 8:59 pm
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Four of the world's leading soccer teams were in self-isolation Thursday as the sport grappled with a deepening virus outbreak that prompted the cancellation of Champions League matches for the first time, including the high-profile last-16 game between Manchester City...
Read More
FILE - In this Friday, Sept. 6, 2019 file photo, United States head coach Gregg Berhalter shouts instructions to his team during an international friendly soccer match against the Mexico in East Rutherford, N.J. United States coach Gregg Berhalter is optimistic his team will train in Doha at some point before that nation hosts the 2022 World Cup. The American men U.S. planned to train at the Aspire Academy from Jan. 5-25 but the U.S. Soccer Federation called off the trip after a U.S. military air strike killed a top Iranian military commander. The camp was relocated to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, where the team held a two-hour workout on Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2020. (AP Photo/Steve Luciano, File)
January 07, 2020 - 6:11 pm
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — Having canceled a training camp in Qatar that was to have started this week, U.S. coach Gregg Berhalter is optimistic his team will train in Doha at some point before that nation hosts the 2022 World Cup. The American men planned to train at the Aspire Academy from Jan. 5-25...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 4, 2018, file photo, Earnie Stewart, general manager of the U.S. men's national soccer team, and head coach Gregg Berhalter pose at a news conference in New York. The sporting director of the U.S. Soccer Federation says Gregg Berhalter's job is safe as men's national team coach despite some disappointing results. "When I evaluate Gregg and the coaching staff and what I've seen to date, I'm a pleased man, and an individual result is not going to change that. It's just not," sporting director Earnie Stewart said during a telephone conference call with reporters Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
November 12, 2019 - 1:59 pm
The sporting director of the U.S. Soccer Federation says Gregg Berhalter's job as men's national team coach is safe despite some disappointing results. Berhalter was hired last December after the Americans failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. The U.S. lost to Mexico 1-0 in the CONCACAF Gold...
Read More
An Iranian woman waves her country's flag as she arrives at the Azadi Stadium to watch the 2022 World Cup qualifier soccer match between Iran and Cambodia, in Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019. Iranian women are freely allowed into the stadium for the first time in decades. They had been banned since 1981. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
October 10, 2019 - 8:36 am
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian women have just watched a FIFA soccer match kickoff after being freely allowed into a stadium for the first time in decades. Iran faces Cambodia in the 2022 World Cup qualifier being held Thursday at Tehran's Azadi Stadium. But the match has taken on even greater...
Read More
U.S. goalkeeper Zack Steffen (1) untangles red streamers from his legs after fans showered the field with them when Mexico scored a goal during the second half of an international friendly soccer match Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, in East Rutherford, N.J. Mexico won 3-0. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
September 07, 2019 - 1:35 am
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — The soccer gap between Mexico and the United States is far wider than the Rio Grande that separates the nations. Exactly a year before the start of qualifying for the 2022 World Cup, Mexico handed the Americans their most one-sided loss in the rivalry since 2009. Javier...
Read More
Brazilian soccer player Dani Alves poses for photos as he is presented as the new defender of the Sao Paulo soccer club at Morumbi stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019. The 36-year-old former Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain defender signed a free transfer deal to play for his boyhood team Sao Paulo FC. (AP Photo/Andre Penner)
August 06, 2019 - 9:58 pm
SAO PAULO (AP) — More than 40,000 Brazilian fans showed up Tuesday night to see Dani Alves join his boyhood club Sao Paulo FC. The former Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain defender said the move aims to keep him in shape for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, when he will be 39 years old. The...
Read More
In this Saturday, July 6, 2019 photo, Argentina's Lionel Messi, center left, and Chile's Gary Medel, center right, scuffle as referee Mario Diaz, from Paraguay, left, shows the red card to both of them during Copa America third-place soccer match at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, Brazil. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)
July 24, 2019 - 8:50 am
ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) — Lionel Messi was suspended from Argentina's first qualifying march for the 2022 World Cup and fined $1,500 by South American soccer's governing body. CONMEBOL said its decision Tuesday resulted from Messi's red card during Argentina's 2-1 win over Chile on July 6 in the...
Read More

Pages